The Millinocket Marathon & Half
December 8, 2018
Millinocket in the April edition of Competitor Magazine! HERE
NEW FOR 2017!
We are VERY pleased to announce that the Millinocket Marathon & Half has joined forces with the Mount Desert Island Marathon, Half & Relay to create the first ever Maine Sea to Summit Race Series, featuring a special finishers medallion! Click HERE to learn more.
This FREE event was started in 2015 to help a struggling Maine mill town that has been devastated by the closing of their major employer. Runner's World Magazine picked up the story shortly after our first edition and the rest is.... as they say, history! Downeast Magazine featured a story entitled Marathon Man in their December edition that talks about the thought behind our event.
The only requirement for runners is that they support local businesses and contribute to the Katahdin region in some way.
Participants are also strongly encouraged to make lodging plans now as many properties fill to capacity very quickly. (see lodging links below) There are many nearby towns and Bangor Maine is just over an hour away.
In the spirit of leaving more than our footprints in Millinocket and in the Katahdin region we have also set up fundraisers in support of two important local non-profit organizations including:
Please contribute generously.
Thank You VERY Much!
2017 Race Happenings
(scroll down to see all the amazing things that are happening and make plans NOW to attend!)
- **IMPORTANT** NEW! FREE bus transportation to and from Millinocket hotels & parking to registration and to the race start, please click HERE
(please use these provided buses and DO NOT attempt to park near the race start. Using these buses will allow us to grow our event and show appreciation to this generous community for making them available. Keep in mind the race is FREE!)
- Keep checking HERE for Millinocket lodging options. There currently ARE openings and if we hear of any cancellations, we'll try to let you know in this thread.
Bib Number Pickup & Artisan Fair; December 8 & 9, 2017. Stearns High School, 199 State St, Millinocket, Maine 04462
- Friday, Dec 8th - from 12 noon to 8:00pm
- Saturday, Dec 9th - (RACE DAY) from 6:00am to 4:00pm (come shop for after race goodies!)
As we all know this event was created solely to help the town & people of Millinocket, and the entire Katahdin region. It was never our intention for the town or region to have to do anything for us... Well, as we also know it's not how real Mainer's roll and the entire region is both excited and energized! With that said, there are many, many dinners, activities and other things planned. PLEASE please patronize all of these events: (Note: keep checking here for more updates and additions to race weekend!)
- Dec 8, 2017 - Spaghetti OR Pancake Dinner; 4:00 - 7:00pm - American Legion Riders Post #80, 970 Central Street, Millinocket, Maine 04462 : Details HERE - Tickets HERE
- Dec 8, 2017 - Christmas Concert; 6:00pm - Family Worship Center, 100 Aroostook Ave, Millinocket, Maine 04462- HERE
- Dec 8, 2017 - The Millinocket Marathon & Half Variety Show; 6:30pm - Walker Auditorium at Stearns High School, 199 State St, Millinocket, Maine 04462
Details: Come and enjoy a night of music and dance before the big race! This promises to be an event for all ages!! Donations are Welcome! All proceeds benefit the Millinocket Performing Arts Boosters
- Dec 8, 2017 - Second Annual HWYRT Crankle 2K; 7:00pm to 7:30pm - Blue Ox Saloon, 61 Penobscot Ave, Millinocket Maine 04462
(note: HWYRT strongly encourages a $5.00 donation to the Millinocket Public Library as your entry fee.)
Details & Sign up HERE.
Donate to the library HERE.
- Dec 8, 2017 - So This Is Fitness LIVE Podcast;
7:45pm to 9:00pm - Blue Ox Saloon, 61 Penobscot Ave, Millinocket, Maine 04462
- Dec 8 & 9, 2017 - Bib number pickup & Artisan Fair;
Friday, Dec 8th - 12 noon to 8:00pm
- Saturday, Dec 9th - (RACE DAY) 6:00am to 4:00pm - Stearns High School, 199 State St, Millinocket, Maine 04462 - HERE
- Dec 9, 2017 - Marathon Breakfast; 7:00am to 12 noon - Northern Timber Cruisers, Millinocket Lake Road, Millinocket Maine 04462. (note: this venue is located on the race route!) - HERE
- Dec 9, 2017 - Dance Millinocket with DJ Bill Lyons; 7:00pm to 11:00pm - Elks Club, 213 Aroostook Ave, Millinocket Maine 04462. Advance tickets are highly recommended. (last year this event sold out!) Send $10 per ticket via PayPal to: morrisonKM9@gmail.com
(your name and the number of tickets your purchased will be on the VIP reservation list at the door!)
Dec 9, 2017 - Marathon Karaoke/Open Mic;
7:00pm -1:00am - American Legion Riders Post #80, 970 Central Street, Millinocket, Maine 04462 - HERE
- Dec 9, 2017 - Ugly Sweater Party - New England Outdoor Center NEOC;
7:00pm -10:00pm - River Drivers Restaurant, 30 Twin Pines Road, Millinocket, Maine 04462 - HERE
Just dOWNLOAD the FREE APP FROM DiscoverKatahdin.com to know what, when & where things are happening IN MILLINOCKET!!!!
(click on the marathon & half tab)
UPDATE!! WATER STOPS: Fluids are loosely planned at the following locations. Remember our race is FREE so this is beyond generous. Details HERE
RACE REGISTRATION: HERE (note: race registration ends on Nov 19 or when our entry cap is reached, whichever comes first.)
RACE DATE: Saturday December 9th, 2017
START TIME: 10:00AM (note: full marathon runners start about 10 minutes before the half marathon start.)
FREE! Reg closes at 11:59pm on November 19 or sooner.
START LOCATION: 33 Penobscot Ave, Millinocket ME, 04462
COURSE MAP: HERE
ENTRANTS LIST: HERE (click and scroll down to bottom of page)
LODGING, DINING & ACTIVITIES: HERE
NEW ENGLAND OUTDOOR CENTER LODGING: HERE
BIB NUMBER PICKUP & ARTISAN FAIR: HERE
SHOP MILLINOCKET: HERE
OFFICIAL RACE SHIRTS: HERE
TRAINING SHIRT 2017: HERE
MARATHON & HALF MEDALS: HERE
SEA TO SUMMIT SHIRTS: HERE
MEDALS! The ONLY way you will get a medal when you finish is by pre-ordering them. (duh! the race is free!) The 2017 design is handmade by people who live and work in Millinocket. HERE
CONNECT via Facebook: HERE
CONNECT via Twitter: HERE
- As of 2016 our race course is now USATF certified, making it a Boston Marathon qualifier.
- The course is two loop circuit, half marathon is one loop, full marathon is two.
- The race will be timed and there will be offical results. (all donated services!)
- Participants should not attend our event with the typical race mindset, 'how many perks will I receive?' instead please come run and support this town (remember nobody paid an entry fee!)
- The event won't be supplying race shirts but the Moose Drop In, a local business, has created many wonderful designs! We highly recommend shopping now for official training & race shirts, medals, stickers and much more! They also have other fun and locally crafted race bling!
- Individuals, businesses or organizations that have goods or services that they would like to share with runners as in-kind sponsors of this event are highly encouraged to attend.
- There is a pasta dinner, a craft fair/expo, bib pick up as well as an epic Saturday after party and a whole lot more in the works! This is definitely not a just run and leave event. Make plans now to come for the night or the weekend or forever works fine too!
Q and A:
Q. Will it be cold? A. It very well could be frigid, this is Northern Maine in the winter! (2015 was quite mild and 2016 was very cold)
Q. Where exactly is Millinocket? A. It's located about 1.5 hours north of Bangor ME.
Q, Will I see a Moose? A. Very likely!
Q. Is the course hilly? A. If you are from Maine nope, if you are from Kansas, we're thinking maybe so!
Q. Is it pretty there? A. It is absolutely stunningly beautiful and gorgeous!
If you have additional questions please contact us but mostly stop asking so many questions and just come have fun!!
The Warmest Winter Race -Competitor Running
Marathon pumps life into Maine region wracked by mill closures -Bangor Daily News
The Magic of Millinocket: Runners Get Warm Welcome on Cold Maine Weekend -Competitor Running
Sports can often galvanize a community in extraordinary ways
-Bangor Daily News
I won the Millinocket Marathon, but that wasn’t the goal
-Bangor Daily News
A photo story reflection on running the Millinocket Marathon and Half -Bangor Daily News
This marathon may help Millinocket get its ‘mojo back’
-Bangor Daily News
Marathon Man -Downeast Magazine
Organizer says Millinocket race attracted national attention
-Bangor Daily News
In a Struggling Community, Runners Come to Help
Marathon event to benefit struggling Katahdin region
-Bangor Daily News
#runMillinocket • december 8, 2018
this event is proudly supported by Crow Athletics